Schnauzers-R-Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Schnauzers-R-Us

A gathering spot for owners of miniature, standard, or giant schnauzer owners.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  **Hydrolyzed Protein P  

**Hydrolyzed Protein

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

**Hydrolyzed Protein Empty
PostSubject: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptyTue Apr 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Hydrolyzed protein is a protein that has been at least partially hydrolyzed or broken down into its component amino acids. While many means of achieving this exist, two of the most common methods are prolonged boiling in a strong acid (acid-HVP) or strong base, or using an enzyme such as pancreatic protease to simulate the naturally occurring hydrolytic process.

USES

Hydrolyzed protein is used in the manufacturing process of certain specially formulated hypoallergenic dog foods for dogs and puppies that suffer from allergies caused by certain protein types in standard commercial dog food brands. The protein contents of the foods are split into peptides which reduces the dog's immune system from recognizing an allergic threat.

Back to top Go down
Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 9:25 am

Whatever you say, Janet!  Smile

When I read a dog food label, I want to see that the first ingredient is an animal protein meal... chicken meal, beef meal, etc. "Meal" means that all the water was removed from that specific ingredient before the product was made. If it just lists "chicken" as the first ingredient, once the water is removed from that chicken (to make that product), that chicken would technically be further down the ingredient list

I'm not sure I explained that very well, but just be sure when you feed your pet kibble that the ingredient list has an animal protein MEAL as its first ingredient.

Karen Brittan
Britmor Schnauzers
Back to top Go down
http://britmorschnauzers.com/
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 am

You explained it okay. My vet though said, that's why it's good to rotate different foods, so they don't get stomach problems.....after so many years, they may become intolerant. Also, the probiotic has animal protein meal as an ingredient. It seems to be working, much better than the one the other vet had him on for all those years.
Back to top Go down
Karen Brittan

Karen Brittan

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptySat Apr 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Well, I don't ever recall having a dog with stomach problems here. There are certain things I do require in a product I feed my dogs, and one of them is probiotics. I also judge that food by my dogs' reactions to it, including the dogs' physical condition after being on it for a few weeks.

Here is the Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, peas, cracked pearled barley, pea flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, egg product, natural flavor, flaxseed, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kale, chia seed, pumpkin, blueberries, oranges, quinoa, dried kelp, coconut, spinach, carrots, papaya, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid. Contains a source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms

As I said previously, I normally do not want to see "chicken" as a first ingredient, but since "chicken meal" is the second ingredient in this, I am satisfied since it then becomes the first ingredient when the water is removed from the "chicken" and that drops further down on the ingredient list.

My dogs love this product, and it does taste good (yes, I did taste it). What I really love is the dogs' condition since they have been on this food. It is a great product!

By the way, I now have eight dogs who are 10 and up.... no stomach issues.
Back to top Go down
http://britmorschnauzers.com/
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptyFri Jul 24, 2020 5:49 pm

After 11 years of this, I finally had enough....we went through thousands of dollars of tests, which came up negative, I lost count of how many times of antibiotics, which I now see weren't needed, nor was the prescription diet. For the last 3 months, I've been in contact with the vet, each time, the testing came back negative....I took him because he kept having mushy, mucus stool.

Through the years, these different vets suggested foods, that made the matter worse. I've tried limited ingredient, and grain free diets, and prescription ones.  

I even emailed vets online, explaining the problem, without any luck.

So about 5 weeks ago, I started my own research, and read many forums where pet owners related a similar problem....conclusion - it was the prescription diet. Many dogs can't digest chicken, beef, duck, or turkey.

Also, rice settles the stomach, and firms up the stool.  So I found a dog food that does just that.

I am now feeding Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice kibble.

Also, the lamb and rice formula would also work for the same issues.

He loves it.  Overnight, the stool firmed up. But I didn't wait in transferring him to the new food....I gave him boiled rice with the new, and had no problems. Vets don't know everything, you as the pet owner will have to experiment on your own.

Also, I dumped the Fortiflora probiotic, and went back to giving Proviable DC.

Last edited by *Janet* on Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptySat Aug 29, 2020 7:05 pm

Hydroloyzed diets are often considered an option for dogs who have not had success on standard novel protein and other diets. Like novel protein diets these focus on protein as the most common nutrient that causes adverse reactions during digestion.

It is during breakdown that the protein causes histamine release in the dog's body, during molecule bridging, and therefore the development of symptoms. Hydrolyzed protein dog food diets aim to change this molecule, but we have no scientific evidence to this yet.

Basically, when using hydrolyzed dog food diet, the protein in the food is broken down into smaller peptide fragments that prevent bridging and histamine release from occurring. This, theoretically, should save the dog from developing stomach problems.

Hydrolyzed protein dog food diet does have a higher price point when compared to many brands, and it's also slightly controversial in the pet food industry.
Back to top Go down
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptyFri Nov 13, 2020 7:30 pm

An update.....I am now feeding Purina Pro Plan hydrolyzed HA vegetarian.....overnight, all the problems stopped. No more diarrhea, and less stool. After 3 months, he is finally putting on weight. Hopefully soon, he will be back to normal.....I have increased the amount though, to 2/3 cup twice a day. No more animal protein......
Back to top Go down
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptySun Jul 30, 2023 8:26 am

A new update....many of those dog foods, have changed their formulas. I am now feeding Purina Pro Plan Hydrolyzed chicken, dry food....as I stated above. he's done well on it the past 3 years. He is now 14 1/2 years old. Overnight, the stool firmed up, but now he only poops about 1/3
of what he used to go.....this food is kept in them. Oh and also went back to Fortiflora, as the probiotic....in the last 3 years he's seen 5 different vets who couldn't solve the problem....one even wanted to do exploratory surgery.....all that had to be done was switch to a new hydrolyzed food. and keep him on fortiflora.
Back to top Go down
*Janet*
Admin
*Janet*

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein EmptyFri Dec 08, 2023 9:00 am

Okay, another update

I found another hydrolyzed protein food, you can buy on the internet without a prescription from a vet.....it's called Square Pet....and it's hydrolyzed pork....it even has a bit more protein in it.....cost is around $90.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **Hydrolyzed Protein   **Hydrolyzed Protein Empty

Back to top Go down

**Hydrolyzed Protein
Page 1 of 1