Schnauzers-R-Us

A gathering spot for owners of miniature, standard, or giant schnauzer owners.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in    

Share | 

+++ An Appreciation Of Henry's Life (died Aug 5, 2003) +++ Mon 3 Nov 2008 - 13:08

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: +++ An Appreciation Of Henry's Life (died Aug 5, 2003) +++ Mon 3 Nov 2008 - 13:08   Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:56 am

Unforgettable Henry!

1990 - 2003

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song,

I thought that life would last forever. I was wrong.

(((( ))))

Hearing Dogs, unlike Guide Dogs for the Blind - who only work when in harness – cannot be retired! They work 24/7/365 for every day of their life, until their last breath! NEVER RESTING! NEVER OFF DUTY!

You just loved the telephone and you were the first to answer it and demanded to know who is speaking before I had a chance to get to it.

Friends used to say "Hello Henry" not Hello Hexie and you recognized their voices and by your reaction I knew who it was before I even got to the phone.

You told me when something fell over in the house and if, unbeknown to you, I changed anything/put something out, you would ‘sound and point’ until I checked it out and said I put it there.

You knew who lived in which house and whether strangers were around. You knew who were trouble-makers.. and you would stare at them and growl, they always crossed the street when they saw you!

You told me when something was boiling over on the stove or I forgot to turn off the bathwater even before it came over the rim!

You told me when something was stolen out of my garden or ‘added’ or when the wind had blown some rubbish in.

Nothing ever escaped your attention.

I could sit in the armchair with my back to the window and you told me by your body language who was coming to the house.

But most importantly, you told me the direction the sounds were coming from.

I could walk safely in the street knowing that you would watch out for cyclists riding on the pavements and you would turn and face them down until they got off their bike or back into the road. But one young idiot came so fast, even you could not stop him and I was thrown into the road. You raced after that idiot and knocked him off his bike lol and then you pinned him to the ground!

Anybody running towards me for whatever reason would soon give a wide berth on hearing your deep and LOUD bark, just the one bark!

The market traders loved you for you stopped many a little misfit in their tracks

You have on several occasions caught muggers in town, you held down a feckless youth who had knocked down and injured a toddler with his bike in the market. When a man tried to steal the purse out of the shopping bag of the pensioner standing next to me at the stalls you gave him the shock of his life when you grabbed his arm and forced him to drop the purse; you and Dex chased off a rapist in Sutton Park when you were only seven months old!! (The next day the man attacked another woman walking her two Labradors – they run off and left the woman to her fate! You and I joined the search party for them as it was a very large park (300 nt 30) square miles before they were found.

It was only because of you that I was able to be a sole carer for ten years, for you saved his life by alerting me and you selflessly did so, even though you did not like or trust him (with good reason!).

And you were so beautiful, so alive and interested in everything yet never demanding. You attracted attention because of your handsome looks but you quietly commanded respect from people and you got it.

Showing you at CH shows was a delight because you always tried to please me and you always came home with one of the top results.

Oh and you loved your food! Din-dins time was the highlight of the day for you ..there you stood next to the worktop supervising and talking me through the preparations telling me "put in a bit of this, and a bit more of that and the same of that and for gawd’s sake hurry up I am starving!"

Often you were talking to me, making guttural sounds with proper intonations - coming over like complete sentences.

We had many a conversation together and understood each other!

You loved learning and doing complicated tricks – loved to do the whole rendition of Patty Cake Patty Cake (your paws hitting my palms) and it appealed to your sense of humour to impress people.

You and I did the Discover Dogs stand at Crufts two years running, you were a such a wonderful ambassador for the breed – even appeared on television and the next day people kept coming to the stand asking for you and wanting "a Schnauzer just like you" but I told them that ‘they threw the mould away when they made you’.

The Kennel Club even gave us special permission for you to come to Crufts even though we were only visiting that year.

I could take you anywhere and you never put a paw wrong ..

SO MANY HAPPY YEARS – SO MANY HAPPY MEMORIES – AND THANK YOU ‘ENNERY’ FOR LOOKING AFTER ME. I SHALL ALWAYS MISS YOU.

((((( )))))

Love from Hetty

Owner - Hexiemystique
Back to top Go down
http://schnauzersrus.forumotion.com

+++ An Appreciation Of Henry's Life (died Aug 5, 2003) +++ Mon 3 Nov 2008 - 13:08
Page 1 of 1